Flood Insurance Information

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Flood Insurance

If your lender says that your property is in a Flood Zone and you must buy flood insurance, you can contact the Engineering Department (760-770-0349) to check the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) External Link Icon, operating under the arm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) External Link Icon.

Using your address or APN number, we can determine the Flood Zone for your property. If we determine that your property lies in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) in a zone that begins with the letter "A" or "V", you will need flood insurance. We also have copies of elevation certificates External Link Icon for most buildings in a SFHA. If we determine that your property lies in a D or X zone, we can provide you with a FIRMette of the area that shows the flood zone, title block with the community name, map panel, number and date of map. If the FIRMette does not show the street your building is on by name, your lender may require a detailed local street map which indicates the location of your property. In most cases, once you submit these maps to your lender for review, they will have enough additional information to refine their original map determination. In cases, where part of your property is in a SFHA, you may need to provide your lender with a map and Elevation Certificate certified by a licensed Land Surveyor or Registered Engineer which shows the elevation of your building. Answer to common questions regarding flood insurance can be answered under our FAQ section. Realtors, lenders, and Insurance agents within the City of Cathedral City can also contact the Engineering Department to find out a Flood Zone for a potential sale or new policy.

If you do not have flood insurance, please call the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to obtain the name of an agent in your area. This program was created by Congress to provide affordable flood insurance. Their toll free number is 1-888-FLOOD29. By getting flood insurance from the same company offering homeowners insurance, you only have to work with one insurance agency when filing a claim. You can pay for insurance - in full, by the month, by cash, check, money order, or credit card. In addition, you can also pay premiums through an escrow account established by your mortgage lender.

The City has Flood Insurance brochures for the general public at the Community Development Department lobby. Many of the brochures available to the public have been recently updated in 2008-2009. Additional FEMA brochures and information can be found online at NFIP Publications External Link Icon page.