Business License

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Anyone doing business in the City of Cathedral City must have a business license. This includes contractors (and subcontractors) and those working out of their home. You can submit applications in person at City Hall or download them from this site and mail them to us. Home Occupations Applicants must apply in person.

Licenses expire one year from date of issue and are not prorated. Home Occupations and out–of-city businesses are activated within 7-14 business days of receipt of payment. All other businesses must not operate until their license is approved. The approval process usually takes between 7 to 28 business days, depending upon the type of business.

General information for all businesses:

Common Business Licenses

Please see the Fee Schedule (page 2 of the application) for an overview of license fees. If you have any questions, please call the Business License Administrator at  (760) 770-0353.

A General In-City Business License is based on estimate of gross receipts for the first year of business. This application can be submitted through the mail or in person along with a Building Occupancy Clearance & Fire Inspection Forms. It is routed for approval from the Building, Engineering, Fire, Planning and Police departments. You can download the Business License Application and the Building Occupancy Clearance & Fire Inspection Forms.

Helpful Hint
Contact the Business License Administrator at (760) 770-0353 or the Planning Department at (760) 770-0380 to find out if your business has additional conditions.

A Home Occupation License costs $40.00 a year and consists of two forms, the standard Business License Application and the Home Occupation Permit. The applicant must appear in person to talk to Planning staff. If approved by Planning, the business license is activated within 7-14 business days from date of receipt.

An Out-of-City Business License is a vehicle flat fee (see Fee Schedule). License plate number is required and may be submitted by mail. The license is activated within 7-14 business days from date of receipt. You may download the Business License Application now.

A Contractor’s Business License (see Fee Schedule). This application may be submitted by mail unless it is a Home Occupation. The Contractor’s State License Board External Link Icon must be current and active. Include a copy of current contractor’s card with application. You may download the Business License Application now.

  • Anyone selling products must have a State Sellers Permit External Link Icon. If you are in-city business you must provide a copy of your Seller’s Permit when you apply. Please note your permit must show the Cathedral City business address. The State Board of Equalization External Link Icon will be able to provide address changes, if needed.
  • If a Fictitious Business Name External Link Icon is used, it must be filed through the County of Riverside. You will be required to publish the name in the local newspaper. Copies of the fictitious name statement and proof of publication (receipt) must be included with your application.
  • If a Partnership, Corporation, Trust or Limited Liability Corporation owns the business; you must provide a Federal ID Number External Link Icon(EIN). If you are a Sole Proprietor you may either use Social Security Number or a Federal ID Number. A husband and wife may not need to obtain a Federal ID Number. Please check the above link for details. Businesses that are corporations must attach copies of the first three pages of their Articles of Incorporation.
  • If you have employees, you must provide a State ID Number External Link Icon(EDD).
  • If you operate a business that is licensed by a state agency (such as contractors) you must provide your State License Number and a copy of the State Contractor Card.
  • Effective January 1, 2001, any business or government entity that is required to file a federal Form 1099-MISC for services received from an independent contractor is required to report specific independent contractor information to the California State Employment Development Department External Link Icon.

Some things to keep in mind

  • Business Licenses are not transferable to the new owner.
  • Any change in the business requires written notification to Cathedral City Business License
  • A $5.00 fee is required for processing a duplicate license.
  • Licenses are renewed annually. Even if you do not receive a renewal notice, it is your responsibility to ensure timely renewal. A penalty fee may be added to late renewals.
  • Your application will be returned to you unprocessed if it is incomplete and/or if proper documentation is not attached.


Business License
68-700 Avenida Lalo Guerrero
Cathedral City, Ca 92234 
Phone:  (760)770-0353 
Fax: (760)202-2538

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer