The following is a list of Frequently asked questions relalting to Photovoltaic plans, plan check submittals and installation.
|Mon-Thurs, 7:00am – 6:00pm |
Mon-Thurs, 7:00am – 5:00pm (No permits issued after 5:00pm)
Staff will plan check all residential solar plans.
Commercial solar plans may be outsourced to our consultant.
|Number of Copies required / Size of Plans||3 sets of plans, Minimum 11” x 17” must be legible. 2 sets of all structural calculations. Plan sizes larger than 11x17 are discouraged and may be returned.|
|Fee||Based on Permit Valuation and Size of Panels|
|Plan Check Time Needed||3 Weeks|
|Nonprofit discount or waive||No|
|Published Solar Guideline||No|
|Credit Card payment||Yes|
|Plan Information Needed||Rafter section||Yes||Attachment detail||Yes|
|Permit submittal methods||In Person or Mail
|Permit - Design Temperatures||114 - 122 degrees|
|Permit - Design Wind Speed||130mph / Exposure C|
|Permit - Set-Backs Required?||Per CalFire - 3’ from Ridge|
HOA Approval Required?
|Yes, if within HOA Community|
Special Signage Requirements
Does The Fire department inspect residential solar installations?
- We use the 2013 Cal Electrical Code Article 690.
- We are using the 2013 C.B.C. and 2013 C.E.C.
- *If mailing a permit, contact the Building Department prior at 760-770-0340.
- All structural calculations, roof loads, wind speed and seismic shall be stamped and wet signed by a California licensed structural engineer.
- Line side taps are reviewed and approved on a case by case basis; SCE requirements apply.
- SCE Requirements:
- A document from the manufacturer of the existing panel indicating the modification or connection to the source side of that panel does not violate the rating of the panel.
- UL certification of the proposed modification or connection to the customer's main circuit breaker of the existing panel.
- Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NTRL) certification of the modification or connection to the source side of the customer's main service panel.
- You may derate the service panel (example, 200 amp down to 175 amp).
- Fire submittal non-required
- All plans to be wet signed by the preparer.
- A single-line diagram is required.
- Ensure that the following items are clearly documented as General Notes (preferably on the Cover Page):
- Solar panels shall not be placed over any plumbing or mechanical vents.
- If existing ground (Ufer) is inaccessible, a separate grounding electrode shall be installed.
- PV System identification placard shall be mechanically attached to MSP enclosure.
- 130mph wind speed shall be used for the design of roof mount PV arrays.