Vacation Rentals Hotline

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Effective January 11, 2013, Ordinance, #717 requires all homeowners operating a vacation rental to complete a Business License Application to obtain a business license for operating a vacation rental located in Cathedral City.

For those homeowners operating a short-term vacation rental (30 days or less), they are also required to complete a Homeowners Application in order to obtain a vacation rental permit (which is included in the business license).

For homeowners operating a vacation rental in a homeowner's association (HOA), an additional Ordinance, #781 was certified on October 12, 2016 and became effective 30 days after certification on November 11, 2016. This ordinance requires the homeowner to obtain a letter from their HOA's governing body stating that short-term vacation rentals are not regulated and/or not prohibited by the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&Rs). This letter must be submitted along with the business license application and the vacation rental application.

Property Management Companies managing vacation rentals are required to obtain a business license for not only their property management firm, but also for the individual properties they manage. These forms need to be completed:

For short-term rentals, TOT return is due at the end of the month for the previous month's rentals, e.g., January TOT is due at the end of February. The current TOT rate is 12%.

The City has a Vacation Rental HOTLINE for citizens to register complaints, such as property registration, noise, and trash. The HOTLINE number is 760-883-1800.

Frequently Asked Rental Reminders and TOT Tips for Homeowners.