This page is designed to be the one location to find all the information you will need to know on Cannabis in Cathedral City.
Below are the most recent adopted Ordinances related to the Sale and Cultivation of Marijuana in the City. More information will be provided through this page as it becomes available.
Cannabis Task Force
Ordinance 775 added Chapter 5.88.140 to the Cathedral City Municipal Code. The Code requires that a Cannabis Task Force be established. The City Manager shall designate no less than nine members and no greater than 15 members to the Cannabis Task Force. The Task Force shall consist of at least one representative from the following groups:
- Cathedral City Police Department;
- Cathedral City Fire Department;
- Cathedral City Planning Department;
- Cathedral City Mayor’s Office;
- A medical cannabis patient;
- An owner of a dispensary;
- An owner of a cultivation site;
- An owner of a manufacturing site; and
- An interested member of the Cathedral City community, who must be a resident.
The City Manager shall serve as the Chairman of the Task Force.
The task force is not appointed by the City Council, the City Manager designates the members. The Task Force does not fall under the Maddy Act nor the Brown Act.
The following is a list of the members of the Cannabis Task Force:
- Charlie McClendon, City Manager
- Commander Julio Luna, Cathedral City Police Department
- Chief Paul Wilson, Cathedral City Fire Department
- Leisa Lukes, Cannabis Licensing Manager
- Robert Rodriguez, Director of Planning/Building
- Donna Terry
- Maria Scagliotti
- Bernard Steinman
- Nancy Ross
- Scott Lambert
- Roger Culbertson
Administrative Rules and Applications
- Cannabis Administrative Rules Updated 6/16 (pdf)
- Cannabis Check List rev. 12/19/18 (pdf)
- Cannabis License Application rev. 12/19/18 (pdf)
- Cannabis License Renewal Application rev. 03/28/19 (pdf)
- Cannabis New, Renewal, Transfer License Application rev. 03/28/19 (pdf)
- CUP Application (pdf)
- Business License (link)
- Cannabis Environmental Assessment Questionnaire (pdf)
- General Security Plan Questionnaire for Cannabis (pdf)
- Agricultural Certification Form (pdf)
Call the Police Department at 760-770-0304 to schedule a Live Scan appointment for a Cannabis Local License to begin the background process.
Cannabis and Marijuana Tax
On November 4, 2014, the Cathedral City voters approved Measure N, which approved a new tax at a rate of up to fifteen cents per each dollar of proceeds or fractional part thereof on marijuana collectives and dispensaries operating in the City of Cathedral City.
On November 8, 2016, the Cathedral City voters approved Measure P, amending the existing Cannabis Business Tax to impose the Tax on all cannabis businesses and to provide different tax calculations for cultivating, manufacturing and dispensing cannabis.
A Marijuana (or cannabis) collective means any activity regulated or permitted by Chapter 9.108 of the Cathedral City Municipal Code, or California Health and Safety Code sections 11362.5, et seq., as may be amended from time to time, or any other activity or business that involves planting, cultivating, harvesting, transporting, dispensing, delivering, providing, manufacturing, compounding, converting, processing, preparing, storing, packaging, or testing any part of the marijuana plant.
Each cannabis business operating in the city, regardless of whether such cannabis business has a license pursuant to Chapter 5.88 or a permit pursuant to 9.108 of the City of Cathedral City Municipal Code, shall pay a cannabis and marijuana tax. On April 26, 2017, Resolution 2017-13, with an update on October 10, 2018, Resolution 2018-46, the City Council approved these resolutions pursuant to Section 3.48.040 of the City of Cathedral City Municipal Code, requiring payment of Cannabis and Marijuana tax in the following amounts:
- Ten cents for each dollar of gross receipts* or fractional part thereof received by a dispensary or by any other cannabis business for activities other than cultivation or manufacturing.
- Fifteen dollars for each square foot or fractional part thereof of cannabis cultivation space.
- For cannabis-infused product, forty cents of each cannabis-infused product other than cannabis concentrate produced or manufactured and packaged or intended for individual sale.
- For each gram of cannabis concentrate produced or manufactured, packaged, or intended for individual sale:
- Crude at $.05 per gram
- Distillate at $.10 per gram
- Exotic/Boutique at $.40 per gram
*Gross receipts (proceeds) of any kind, including without limitation, membership dues; the value of in-kind contributions; reimbursements provided by members regardless of form; any payments made; and anything else of value obtained by a cannabis or marijuana collective.
Depending on the type of cannabis business operating in the City of Cathedral City, there can be up to three different Cannabis and Marijuana Tax (CMT) returns filed each month:
- Dispensary Cannabis and Marijuana Tax (CMT) Return
- Cultivation Cannabis and Marijuana (CMT) Tax Return
- Manufacturing Cannabis and Marijuana (CMT) Tax Return
Cannabis Licensing Manager